Want to read more? Visit Mary's related blogs for deeper insights on Alzheimer's disease, family, health and more.
Navigating Alzheimer’s: 12 Truths about Caring for Your Loved One
Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease is like navigating a voyage on the high seas. The journey requires steady, ongoing mental and physical stamina as well as heavy doses of love and patience. Navigating Alzheimer’s by Mary K. Doyle is a guide to assist travelers on this path.
Ms. Doyle writes from a point of more than a decade of experience caring for her husband with Alzheimer’s as well as her investigation into the disease and its caregiving requirements. She honestly describes the challenges caregivers face and offers solid guidance in regards to the most pressing concerns including:
- Differences between normal aging and Alzheimer’s
- The inability to exactly predict the manner and length of illness
- Personality variations of the person with Alzheimer’s
- Need for flexible planning
- How caregivers affect their loved one’s behavior
- The state of perpetual mourning caregivers find themselves in
- Forgiving ourselves for not being perfect
- Dealing with hurtful comments from outsiders
- The high price of caregiving
- Acquiring appropriate caregiving assistance
- Considerations when searching for an assisted living home for memory care
- Appreciating the gifts in hand
Navigating Alzheimer’s is empowering, supportive, and sympathetic. Written specifically for primary, family caregivers to people with Alzheimer’s, the book also is helpful for friends and other family members of loved ones with Alzheimer’s.
2017 Gold Medal, Illumination Book Awards
The Illumination Awards are intended to celebrate and recognize the exemplary books produced by the ever-growing Christian branch of publishing and bookselling. A vast array of new titles is released from this thriving sector each year, bringing inspiration and answers to millions of readers exploring their faith.